Thursday, July 25, 2024

Trump says he's still against the electric car mandate, Musk says he's giving money to promote Trump, just not $45 million a month

“I have a good relationship with him, I think he’s a nice guy,” Trump said of Musk during a call-in interview on Fox News.
 
“Somebody told me he was going to give me 45 million [dollars] a month. I said, ‘That sounds like a lot, even for Elon, that’s a lot,’” the Republican presidential nominee said.
 
But Musk “never told me he was giving [$45 million],” he said.
 
“But he did say, ‘I strongly endorse you,’ despite the fact that I’m against the electric car mandate,” Trump said, referring to the Biden administration’s policies aimed at prioritizing electric vehicles over gas-powered vehicles. ...

But Musk, in an interview with conservative public figure Jordan Peterson, said the figure reported by the Journal was “simply not true.”
 
“I’m not donating $45 million a month to Trump,” Musk said in that interview, which was posted Monday on X, the social media site he owns. ...

In an X post Tuesday night, Musk wrote, “I am making some donations to America PAC, but at a much lower level.” He asserted that most Republicans align with the PAC’s key values of “supporting a meritocracy & individual freedom.”